Yes – you read that blog title correct! Today we are making Banana Bread in a JAR!!
Well, if you follow me on Instagram then you have probably been following the saga of myself making jarred banana bread- and a few others that have tried as well!
So… WHY?! You ask?
Simple – it is a fun gift idea and a GREAT way to preserve- banana bread!
This simple recipe is shelf stable and can be stored IN YOUR CUPBOARD for up to 1 year (or longer depending on the ingredients you use!).
Yes, you heard me correct! 1 whole year as long as you get a proper seal and have sterilized jars with no bacteria around the edges when canning. Ideally, store in a cool dark place.
- 2 cups flour of choice
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 cup Chocolate Chips
- 1/4 cups Chopped Walnuts
- Whisk all together in a bowl
- 2 Free Range Eggs (flax eggs work as well!!)
- 1/3 cup Maple Syrup
- 1/4 cup Milk of choice
- 1/3 cup melted Coconut Oil, Olive Oil or Butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 3 soft Bananas
- Mash all together in a separate bowl
- Get your clean mason jars (ideally 250ml size but any size does work, you will just need to adjust cooking times) and place them on a baking tray in the oven while it preheats to 350°. This adds another layer of protection for sterilization in case the jars are not properly cleaned.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Once the oven is heated, carefully remove the baking tray of jars out of the oven and fill 1/3 – 1/2 way full. Ideally, you want them a bit less as the do expand!! In case they “overflow” while cooking, you can easily cut off the tops when ready to seal.
- Carefully place baking tray of jars back into the oven and bake for 25 – 30min or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and work quickly! Carefully (using clean gloves or a cloth) place new or sterilized mason jar lids on mason jars and tightly seal the rings. They will “PING” as they are cooling.
- Let cool at room temperature until they have all sealed properly. You will know they are sealed when you press on the top and it does not making any “popping” noises!
- VOILÀ! Enjoy 🙂
- Store in cool dry place for up to 1 year or longer if using flax egg.
- DO NOT CONSUME if the seal has broken. You will be able to tell right away if the banana bread is still safe to consume or not! An off smell or mould will begin to form.
- Banana bread should be moist and smell delicious when you open the jar lids!
- To remove, open lid and “bang” on the bottom until the banana bread pops out. Should work quite well! See videos below for another example.
Heidi MacAulay, R.H.N.
“Eat more plants. Do more yoga. Read more books.”
Learn more about me, my credentials or how to work with me here!