This easy-peasy simply-tasty recipe has been a HUGE hit at the retreats I’ve been catering and so, it only makes sense to share it with ALL of you so that you can taste-test it at home!
All you need is 2 ingredients however, I DO recommend using the additional ingredient suggestions listed below to make it THAT much better!
- Honestly? They pair well with the Chia Seeds! However you could easily use blackberries, blueberries, strawberries.. pretty much any fruit you desire!
- Health reasons? I love to use berries- specifically raspberries- because they are PACKED with antioxidants which help to reduce free radicals in the body. Just ONE CUP of local, quality raspberries can contain over 50% of your RDI (recommended daily intake) of VITAMIN C as well as over 40% of your RDI for MANGANESE! Both of these Vitamins & Minerals are essential for optimal health and immune support. Not only that, but using the whole fruit is a great way to get your daily fibre intake- win-win!!
WHY CHIA SEEDS?!
- Honestly? Because they pair well with Raspberries! 😉
- But on a more serious note, chia seeds may be small but they are PACKED with nutrients. When you soak chia seeds, a gel-like substance starts to form around the seed, helping to thicken the jam naturally without using any additives. This gel-like substance is the SWEET STUFF that we are looking for! With just 2tbsp of chia seeds you can get 5 grams of Alpha-Linolenic acid- also known as Omega-3 Essential Fatty Acid. Omega 3’s can be hard to come by in traditional diets and are best consumed in their raw state as they are VERY heat sensitive. Omega 3’s help to reduce Oxidative Stress, support optimal cognitive function as well as keeping your hearty healthy & happy! Chia seeds are also high in Antioxidants and bone supporting nutrients such as Magnesium, Phosphorus and Calcium.
- 4 cups Frozen Raspberries *you can use fresh raspberries as well but you may need to add some water!*
- 4 heaping tablespoons of Chia Seeds *add more or less, depending on how thick you like it! The more, the merrier!*
- 2 – 4 tablespoons Honey or Maple Syrup *you can also omit this if you are concerned about candida/sugar levels*
- 2 tablespoons Vanilla *optional but HIGHLY recommended!!*
- Pinch of Himalayan salt to accentuate flavours
- Add all ingredients to a medium pot and bring to a very light boil, stirring frequently. Add water if necessary but careful not to add too much!!
- Once it starts to ALMOST boil, turn down to a simmer and let simmer for 10-15min or until jam has thickened to desired consistency. The chia seeds MAY continue to thicken as they cool in your desired storage container as well.
- Pour hot jam into a sanitized mason jar and let cool before placing lid on. Store in the fridge for up to 1 week OR if you are well equipped and comfortable with water-bath canning, try canning this recipe to keep it shelf stable!
Heidi MacAulay, R.H.N.
“Eat more plants. Do more yoga. Read more books.”
Learn more about me, my credentials or how to work with me here!