I created this recipe for busy athletes, entrepreneurs, moms, campers and any people that are on-the-go who require:
- adequate long-lasting energy support
- mental focus and clarity
- stamina, sweetness and simplicity
- sun support and protection against free-radical damage
- something easy and satisfying to grab when they just need ANYTHING!
These guys are loaded with nutrient dense ingredients high in essential fatty acids, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and protein. I’ve added a few extra supplements to support cognitive health as well as general immunity. To keep the quality of these snacks high, I’ve made sure they’re:
- WHOLESOME – using only whole, raw and local ingredients when possible.
- 1.5 cup nuts & seeds (I used OM Foods 9 seed blend)
- 1/2 cup oats (or protein powder of choice)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup (depending on sweetness level – if omitting use more coconut oil or 3 dates instead)
- 3 – 4 tbsp soft coconut oil (depending on consistency)
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate (you can make your own chocolate here or use a chocolate bar/chunks/chips)
- 1 tbsp matcha
- 2 tsp mushroom blend (I used OM Foods Mushroom Blend)
- 1/4 tsp himalayan salt
- 1 – 2 drops DoTERRA Food Grade Peppermint Essential Oil or similar quality food grade oil.
- *optional* In a small bowl, mix a 1/4 cup raw cane sugar, coconut flakes or hemp hearts together with 1 tsp matcha to roll the energy balls in at the end.
- Combine all ingredients into a food processor or blender and blend until well combined, usually about 2 – 5 minutes. Scrape down the edges/bottom with a rubber spatula if necessary. Sometimes pulsing at first works best before blending.
- Taking a large tablespoon full, form a bite size ball in your hand and squeeze together a few times before rolling into a ball (I find they stick better that way).
- *Optional* If using, roll the ball in the small bowl of toppings before placing in your storage container.
- Once completed, place the storage container in the freezer for 5 – 10min before storing in the fridge or using. You can also store them in the freezer and pull out a little before using or simply store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- This is a very forgiving recipe. Play around with it, make it your own but for the recipe to work optimally I highly suggest keeping it raw, local, sustainable and as whole to it’s original state as possible. Always opt for quality over quantity when possible!
- For a DIY style try following this recipe:
- 1 – 1.5 cups nuts/seeds/etc.
- 1/2 – 1 cup oats/coconut/protein powder/etc.
- 2 – 4 tbsp maple syrup/honey/dates/applesauce/etc.
- 2 – 4 tbsp coconut oil/nut butter/etc.
- 2 – 4 tbsp liquid (if needed) ex: lemon juice/mylk/etc.
- 1 – 2 tbsp flavours ex: salt/cinnamon/pumpkin spice/etc.
- 1 – 2 tbsp supplements (optional) ex: collagen/mushrooms/glutamine/etc.
- Optional coatings: hemp hearts/sesame seeds/sugar/cacao/powders/etc.
Don’t have the materials to make these or looking for items that are already pre-made? Did you know I offer meal prepping services? Let me help! PLUS I’ll be adding an online shop to my website soon! Contact me to inquire or pre-order!
Heidi MacAulay, R.H.N.
“Eat more plants. Do more yoga. Read more books.”
Learn more about me, my credentials or how to work with me here!