Hellooo inspiration! During these isolating times, it’s been hard for me to find my inspiration. However, sometimes it pops up when you least expect it! I saw someone who lives over on the East Coast post a clam recipe to support the overwhelmed fish markets that have a surplus of products due to restaurants not being able to open their doors so, it inspired me to visit my own local fish market and pick up something fresh!
These clams I got from the Finest at Sea located in James Bay. I’m a big fan of all seafood and shellfish in particular have always been a fun item to play with! I don’t cook with them very often, but since clams are in season right now, I may just do some more experimenting!
Aside from them being DELICIOUS, shellfish hold A LOT of nutritional value for how small of a package they come in! Clams in particular are:
- SUPER high in vitamins, minerals + omega-3 fatty acids
- Are considered one of the best sources of B12 (Cobalamin)
- As well as as being high in Vitamin C, Riboflavin (B2) and Niacin (B3)
- They are also rich in Iron (78%), Selenium (35%), Manganese (25%) and Copper (17%) based off 100gr serving
- Loaded with protein, low in carbs and low in fat (put loaded with the “GOOD” fat 😉
- Great for skin health due to Vitamin C supporting the synthesis of collagen
- Are known to have low levels of contaminants
- Could help to boost HDL (“good” cholesterol) and lower LDL (“bad” cholesterol)
- Great for heart and thyroid health! Can help to regulate blood pressure and support thyroid production due to the iodine and copper in clams.
- 3 tbsp avocado oil
- 3 tbsp ghee or butter
- 1 med shallot, diced finely
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- Fresh cracked pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley + 2 tbsp fresh to top
- 1-2 cups dry white wine – Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc would pair well – alternatively you could use a broth or stock instead of white wine
- 5lb bag of clams, chilled/rinsed
- 1 lemon
- 1 green onion, sliced (optional)
- Serve with warm, buttery baguette or on a bed of pasta
- PREP. Place clams in a bowl (uncovered) in the refrigerator as soon as you get home. Check that they are alive by making sure all of the shells are tightly closed. If any clams are open, gently tap them against the counter-top; if are alive, they will close their shells. Discard any clams that do not close their shells or that have cracked or chipped shells. Leave them in there for 20-60 minutes to allow them to expel sand and debris. While those sit, get your remaining ingredients ready.
- COOK. In a large sauté pan (I used a wok but ensure you have a large enough lid to fit the pan you use), heat up the oils over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and sauté until just golden.
- STEAM. Next, add the wine, fresh cracked pepper, red pepper flakes and 1/4 cup of the parsley. Toss in Clams. I also threw in an extra tablespoon of butter (because YUM). Cover and let cook until clams open, about 5-10min.
- SERVE. Turn the heat off and serve straight from the pan. Top your dish with fresh lemon juice, cracked pepper, parsley and green onions if using. I did not add any salt to the recipe as I felt it didn’t need it but you could top with some extra Himalayan salt to increase the variety of minerals + nutritional value of this meal. Serve with warm baked baguette, toasted + slathered in butter or on a bed of your favourite pasta!
“Eat more plants. Do more yoga. Read more books.”