When they taste just like your Oma used to make… *DROOL*
I know.. it’s nowhere NEAR time for the “C” word yet but save this recipe anyways to perfect over the next few months + really blow everyone away this holiday season!
Honestly, I just had a hankering for some good ol’ fashioned cookies and ginger snaps were the one cookie my Oma seemed to always have in her cookie jar- year round! But seeing as it’s Fall, I gave it a bit of an autumn twist… can you tell by the ingredients list what it is?! 🎃
It’s taken me a while to find a good, chewy, gluten-free ginger snap but I think I’ve finally done it! These guys are SUPER gingery and SUPER moist! Give them a try and let me know how you like them.
- 2 cups lightly packed gluten-free flour of choice (I use my own homemade blend of: buckwheat, sprouted spelt, sorghum, arrowroot, tapioca, garbanzo, millet, rice, and quinoa)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp pumpkin spice *see notes below*
- 1/4 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- 1/4 tsp himalayan salt
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup raw cane sugar, plus another 1/4 cup for rolling the cookies in
- 1 free range egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 drops DoTERRA Ginger essential oil *optional*
Sift the the flour into a large bowl and whisk in the baking soda, pumpkin spice, pepper and salt until fully combined.
In a medium bowl, stir together the butter, molasses and sugar using a wooden spoon or whisk. Add the egg, vanilla extract and ginger essential oil if using and mix until combined.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until the flour is incorporated. Stir vigorously for a few minutes – this activates the stickiness of the flours and makes for chewy cookies.
Cover the dough and chill until firm, about 1-2 hours or preferably 1-2 days (see my notes on this below!)
When you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350ºF.
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and place the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar in a small bowl.
Roll the dough into small 1″ round balls and place in sugar until fully coated. Place the balls at least 2″ apart on the cookie sheet and lightly press down using a fork to get desired thickness. They don’t expand very much so if you like them thinner and flatter, press down harder.
Bake the cookies for about 10 – 15 minutes or until they are puffed and cracked- the dough between the cracks should look almost under baked. DO NOT over bake! If you are unsure, opt for less cooking time than more.
- This is a great recipe to pre-make and store in the fridge or freezer to pull out and use whenever! The longer it sits in the fridge before cooking, the chewier the cookies get *DROOL*
- I opted to make this recipe more “autumn” flavoured given the the time of year but here are a few different spice blends you can use seasonally if you’re like me and want to enjoy them year-round!
- Pumpkin Spice: 1 tbsp cinnamon, 2 tsp ginger, 1 tsp cloves and 1 tsp nutmeg
- Christmas Cheer: 2 tsp ginger, 2 tsp cinnamon and 1 tsp allspice
- OG Ginger: 2 tsp ginger, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp cloves and add 2 drop of ginger essential oil and diced candied ginger in with the molasses while mixing!
- Recipe originally adapted from: https://bojongourmet.com/gluten-free-ginger-molasses-cookies/
“Eat more plants. Do more yoga. Read more books.”
2 Replies to “GF Ginger Snaps”
Do you think a chia egg would work instead of the egg?
Hey! I haven’t tried it yet but that was going to be my next test! Either a chia or flax egg. Would say it should work 😊