WHAT IS IT
Oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic practice that involves swishing either sesame or coconut oil in your mouth for an extended period of time to assist with oral health.
I know, most people are skeptics when they first hear about it! But this ancient practice spiked the interest of modern day scientists and guess what? The evidence backs that traditional Ayurvedic practice to show that yes- it really does work!
- Helps with whitening teeth, preventing cavities, decreasing inflammation and improve overall gum/oral health.
- Could help with acne prone skin, reduce headaches, increase energy and help to improve metabolism.
- Helps to kill bad breath and harmful bacteria in the mouth such as H. pylori.
- Promotes and assists the bodies natural detoxification system which helps to support a healthy immune system.
HOW TO OIL PULL
Oil pulling is very simple and can be done anywhere, anytime, using only 1 ingredient! Here’s how:
- Take 1 tbsp of sesame or coconut oil (most people prefer coconut)
- Swish in and our your mouth/teeth for up to 20 min ensuring NOT to swallow any of the oil!
- Spit the oil out into the toilet or a garbage can- do not put it down any drains as it could clog the drain!
- Rinse your mouth out with warm salt water if preferred (I usually skip this step) and then brush/floss your teeth as usual.
TIPS, TRICKS AND THINGS TO NOTE
Feels a little weird and uncomfortable? Start small and work your way up! If 1 tbsp feels like too much, start with 1 tsp and slowly work your way to 1 tbsp. Same with the amount of time. Start with 5min and slowly work your way to 20min! Once you get comfortable with the amount of time and oil, try alternating between the two different types of oil to get a variety of benefits!
I find oil pulling goes by faster when I am doing something like meditating, showering, putting my makeup on, making breakfast, folding laundry… incorporate it into your day and habit stack it! Add it to a morning habit that you already do so that you remember to do it! Ideally speaking one that allows you to sit and be present with it however let’s be real – LIFE.
Always use cold-pressed, unrefined, organic or non-gmo oils. Always. If needed, spoil yourself to a small quality jar and keep hidden specifically for oil pulling! Think of it as a supplement for your oral health.
Opt for oil pulling on an empty stomach and first thing in the morning to see optimal benefits however it could be practiced at any time during the day.
NEVER swallow the oil, always remember to spit it out into a garbage can or toilet and ALWAYS brush your teeth after you’ve finished. Bad bacteria could still be lingering in your mouth and it will definitely be in the oil! Make sure you dispose of it properly.
HOW I LIKE TO START MY MORNINGS
- Wake up, pop a coconut oil mould (see recipe/instructions below) in my mouth and swish while meditating.
- Once finished, I spit the oil out into my garbage can and brush/floss my teeth.
- While brushing my teeth, I get the kettle warming up to make a glass of warm lemon water to enjoy while I start my day. **if you work with me you know this is one of my favourite and first suggestions for all of my new clients!
- 1 cup quality coconut oil
- 5 – 10 drops essential oils of choice (I use a blend of On Guard and Lemon in one mould and a blend of Spearmint and Peppermint in the other – click links to see health benefits or contact me if you’d like a sample)
- Melt your coconut oil if it is already not melted.
- Add essential oils and store to incorporate.
- Set your moulds up on a baking tray so that they’re easy to transport.
- Carefully pour coconut oil into moulds and set in the freezer until frozen.
- Store in a glass mason jar either in the fridge for warmer climates or on the counter for colder climates.
“Eat more plants. Do more yoga. Read more books.”