Over the holidays I made a variety of homemade goodies for friends and family. This Chai Spice Mix I created to be versatile so that EVERYONE could enjoy! The reason I love this recipe (aside from chai spices being DELCIOUS) is because it’s caffeine free and full spices that have numerous health benefits. Here are a few of my favourites:
✔️ increases blood circulation
✔️ anti-inflammatory properties
✔️ antibacterial effects
✔️ high in antioxidants
✔️ boosts immune system
✔️ aids in digestion
✔️ may lower blood pressure + blood sugar levels
✔️ may help with weight loss
✔️ helps to fight against cancer cells
Traditionally, chai tea is made with black tea + chai spices however, I’ve switched it up by creating this herbal version and have added a few non-traditional ingredients as well! This blend can be used as a herbal tea, mulling spice, hot apple cider or can be ground and added in baking! 🍊✨
- 4 whole nutmeg
- 8 – 10 cinnamon sticks, chunked
- 1/3 cup cardamom seeds
- 1/3 cup whole allspice
- 1/3 cup whole cloves
- 1/4 cup dehydrated orange peel
- 1/4 cup star anise
- 1/4 cup coriander seeds
- 1/4 cup fennel
- 1/4 cup dehydrated ginger or candied ginger
- 2 – 3 tbsp black peppercorns
- In a heavy duty dry goods blender, lightly blend the nutmeg so that it is chunked into smaller pieces. If you do not have a blender that can handle this, you can grate the nutmeg or put the nutmeg into a bag and hit it on a cutting board with a rolling pin.
- Add all of the ingredients together into a stainless steel bowl and store in glass mason jars to have on hand for future recipes!
HOT APPLE CIDER
- Use 2 – 3 tbsp of spice mix in a drawstring teabag with 4 cups of apple juice and simmer for 30min. Add honey, maple syrup or cane sugar to increase sweetness if desired.
- Use 2 – 3 tbsp of spice mix in a drawstring teabag with 4 cups of apple cider or wine and simmer for 20 – 30min. Add a little rum or bourbon when you serve it to warm you up even further!
CHAI TEA LATTE
- Use 1/4 cup of spice mix and bring to a boil with 3 cups filtered water.
- Reduce heat, cover and let simmer for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Whisk in 1 cup of desired milk (I like to use hemp or coconut) and add 2 tbsp of honey or maple syrup.
- Increase heat to almost a medium heat, continuing to whisk until everything is dissolved and milk starts to become frothy.
- Strain into a teapot or cups and enjoy!
CHAI SPICE MIX
- Blend 1/2 cup of spice mix in a heavy duty dry goods blender and store in small mason jars to use in baking, cooking or toppings.
“Eat more plants. Do more yoga. Read more books.”
Have you heard?!
I’m sending out a weekly Affirmation, every Sunday, for an entire year! Looking to manifest a more positive, happy, healthy lifestyle? Follow my blog below by entering in your e-mail address at the bottom of this page! ↓