I’m a huge fan of Indian cuisine – the spices, flavours, variety, nutritional value.. bring it allll on!
This butter chicken recipe is keto/paleo friendly and gluten free. I’ve also given a few options to make it dairy free and vegan as well! Check out my notes at the bottom of this page for other options. I’ve suggested serving it on a bed of cauliflower rice but it’s tasty just eating it the way it as well. I highly suggest making a HUGE batch of it (doubling the recipe if possible) and freezing it to have on hand. It freezes so well and honestly, once you start eating it, you can’t stop!
- 1 cup plain full-fat Greek-style yogurt or plain coconut yogurt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp butter, ghee or coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced or pressed
- 1 tbsp ginger, grated
- 2 tsp cumin seeds (optional)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 small head of broccoli, cut into florets (optional)
- 1 can (400ml) diced tomatoes or 2 medium-sized tomatoes, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced (or 1 pinch of red pepper flakes)
- 1 tsp sea salt or to taste
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 2 tbsp almond flour
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 cloves of garlic, diced or pressed (optional)
- 1 small onion, finely diced (optional)
- 1 – 2 tbsp butter, ghee or coconut oil
- sea salt to taste
- food processor
- 1/2 bunch cilantro leaves, detailed
- handful of cashews
- candied ginger
- keto pupusas (optional)
- bed of choice
BUTTER CHICKEN INSTRUCTIONS
- Mix yogurt, lemon juice, garam masala, turmeric, cumin, and salt altogether in a medium sized bowl. Stir in chicken, tofu or potato pieces. If possible, cover and refrigerate for a couple of hours or overnight.
- In a large pan, melt oil over medium heat and add onions. Cook until translucent. Add in garlic, ginger, cumin seeds, cinnamon and broccoli. Continue to cook until broccoli is lightly steamed, stirring frequently.
- Add in tomatoes, jalapeno and salt. Cook until tomatoes are fully cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Add the yogurt marinade mixture into the pan and cook for 5 minutes. Pour in stock and bring the mixture to a boil. Lower heat and simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes.
- Stir in cream and almond flour. Continue to simmer uncovered for about 10-15 minutes, or until the chicken (or tofu/potato) is fully cooked.
- Serve over a bed of cauliflower rice and garnish with cilantro leaves and cashews. I like to serve mine with pupusas to dip in.
CAULIFLOWER RICE INSTRUCTIONS
- Rice the cauliflower, onion and garlic by grating it on the larger holes in a food processor.
- Heat oil in a cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Add the cauliflower rice and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower rice is tender and slightly golden brown, about 5 – 10 minutes.
- Get creative with the fillings! Instead of chicken try tofu, potato, chunked cauliflower, parsnip, yam, etc.
- Boost up the nutritional value! Sneak in a handful of spinach near the end to add more nutrients.
- Get creative with the bed of choice! I’ve suggested using cauliflower rice however you could use any rice (I love forbidden rice!), quinoa, no bed at all or wrap it up in a tortilla shell or lettuce wrap!
“Eat more plants. Do more yoga. Read more books.”