Emphases on the ‘meatball’…
Although this is a full spaghetti + meatball recipe, the spotlight is definitely on the meatballs! Prep them up ahead of time and store them in the fridge for 5 days or freeze them for future use!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1/4 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated (optional)
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup breadcrumbs of choice (flour, panko, ground flax, ground chia or psyllium husk also work great)
- 1/4 cup lukewarm water – if required (optional)
- 1 small jar (500ml) of Homemade Salsa
- 1 large jar (1L) of diced or crushed tomatoes (or store bought canned)
- Salt + Pepper to taste (optional)
- OR try this Homemade Marinara if you don’t have the above ingredients!
- Store bought noodles of choice (I like these Edamame Spaghetti Noodles, Red Lentil Spaghetti, or theseQuinoa Spaghetti Noodles)
- Or try these Homemade Zoodles
- Preheat oven to 425F. Combine all meatball ingredients together into one bowl and mix with wooden spoon or hands until fully combined. The consistency should be wet enough to form and hold a meatball shape.
- Prep meatballs. With an ice cream scoop or using your hands, shape meatballs into a golf sized ball. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 10 – 15min or until golden brown.
- Prep sauce. While the meatballs are cooking, add salsa and diced tomatoes to a large sauce and bring to a light boil. Once boiled, turn heat down to a simmer and let simmer while you prepare the noodles. Add salt + pepper to taste if necessary.
- Follow the Homemade Marinara instructions if you are using that recipe instead.
- Prep noodles. Bring a large pot of water with 1 tsp of salt and 1tbsp of olive oil to a boil. Boil noodles as instructed on package or follow the Zoodle Recipe instructions.
- Combine. Once the meatballs are cooked, add them to the sauce and stir all together. Cover and let sit for 2 – 5min.
- Serve. Once noodles are cooked, strain and serve. Pour the sauce + meatballs onto the noodles and top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese! Enjoy!
“Eat more plants. Do more yoga. Read more books.”