Ahhh another fun-ball recipe!.. and not those kind of fun-balls 😅
(see this is why I call them bites- there’s just too many puns and because well, I’m #mature)
Okay, okay on a more serious note… I focused on filling this recipe with extra recovery goodness for the busy athletes, entrepreneurs, parents, campers and any people who are always on-the-go and really require that extra recovery loving along with:
- reducing inflammation throughout the body
- balanced energy support
- mental focus and clarity
- fun and refreshing sweetness
- optimal digestion support with collagen and glutamine added
- something easy and satisfying to grab when you just need ANYTHING!
Of course these guys are naturally loaded with nutrient dense ingredients such as essential fatty acids, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and protein. I’ve added a few extra supplements to support collagen production as well as optimal recovery and overall general immunity. To keep the quality of these snacks high, I’ve made sure they’re:
- VEGETARIAN – with an easy vegan option.
- CAFFEINE FREE – so you can enjoy them at any hour of the day!
- WHOLESOME – using only organic or GMO-free sources and whole, raw, local ingredients when possible.
- 1.5 cup nuts & seeds (I used OM Foods 9 seed blend)
- 1/2 cup oats (or protein powder of choice)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup (depending on sweetness level – if omitting use more coconut oil or 3 dates instead)
- 3 – 4 tbsp soft coconut oil (depending on consistency)
- 1/3 cup dried fruit (I liked using coconut and pineapple for this one!)
- 1 tsp turmeric + a couple cracks of black pepper
- 1 tbsp glutamine (I actually used this Muscle Recovery blend)
- 1 tbsp collagen (I use Organikas – omit to keep this vegan)
- 1/4 tsp himalayan salt
- 1 whole lemon and lime, zested & squeezed
- 1 drop each of DoTERRA Food Grade Lime, Lemon & Turmeric Essential Oil (or use similar quality food grade oil – optional but highly recommended!)
- In a small bowl, mix a blend of raw cane sugar, coconut flakes, hemp hearts, black sesame seeds and/or lime/lemon zest together to create 1/4 cup of toppings to roll the recovery bites in at the end.
- Combine all ingredients into a food processor or blender and blend until well combined, usually about 2 – 5 minutes. Scrape down the edges/bottom with a rubber spatula if necessary. Sometimes pulsing at first works best before blending.
- Taking a large tablespoon full, form a bite size ball in your hand and squeeze together a few times before rolling into a ball (I find they stick better that way).
- *Optional* If using, roll the ball in the small bowl of toppings before placing in your storage container.
- Once completed, place the storage container in the freezer for 5 – 10min before storing in the fridge or using. You can also store them in the freezer and pull out a little before using or simply store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- This is a very forgiving recipe. Play around with it, make it your own but for the recipe to work optimally I highly suggest keeping it raw, local, sustainable and as whole to it’s original state as possible. Always opt for quality over quantity when possible!
- For a DIY style try following this recipe:
- 1 – 1.5 cups nuts/seeds/etc.
- 1/2 – 1 cup oats/coconut/protein powder/etc.
- 2 – 4 tbsp maple syrup/honey/dates/applesauce/etc.
- 2 – 4 tbsp coconut oil/nut butter/etc.
- 2 – 4 tbsp liquid (if needed) ex: lemon juice/mylk/etc.
- 1 – 2 tbsp flavours ex: salt/cinnamon/pumpkin spice/etc.
- 1 – 2 tbsp supplements (optional) ex: collagen/mushrooms/glutamine/etc.
- Optional coatings: hemp hearts/sesame seeds/sugar/cacao/powders/etc.
Don’t have the materials to make these or looking for items that are already pre-made? Did you know I offer meal prepping services? Let me help! PLUS I’ll be adding an online shop to my website soon! Contact me to inquire or pre-order!
Heidi MacAulay, R.H.N.
“Eat more plants. Do more yoga. Read more books.”
Learn more about me, my credentials or how to work with me here!