*WARNING IN ADVANCE*
This recipe is seriously, dangerously, delicious. Actually though. This bread is better than any gluten-free bread I’ve ever bought or tried to make – it’s light, fluffy and is best enjoyed fresh from the oven (with a glass or two of wine – of course).
I actually use spelt in this recipe but have also done a blend of gluten-free flours such as buckwheat, coconut, oat, and/or arrowroot. I haven’t tried almond yet but have been meaning to give it a go – although I feel as though the bread may turn out a bit denser but there is only one way to find out! This recipe is super forgiving so use what feels best for you and your body. I have a list of suggestions down in the recipe as well. 🙂
For those trying to keep it Keto friendly, I would suggest using Almond, Chickpea or Coconut Flour with the Psyllium Husk option and use the stevia instead of cane sugar if desired. You could also trying using Oat, Teff or Amaranth flour depending how strict of a ketogenic diet you are doing!
- 2 cups flour (Buckwheat, Sorghum, Amaranth, Teff, Rice, Arrowroot, Oat, Chickpea, Coconut, Cassava, or Almond)
- 1 cup tapioca flour or psyllium husk
- 3 tsp xanthan gum
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1.5 tbsp raw cane sugar (optional – can use 6 drops stevia instead)
- 1.5 cups lukewarm water
- 1.5 tbsp fast-rise yeast
- 1.5 tbsp butter, melted
- 3 egg whites, beaten slightly
- 1 tsp vinegar
- Melted butter, for brushing
- Blend flour, tapioca, xantham gum, and salt in a large stainless steel bowl.
- In a small stainless steel bowl, dissolve sugar in warm water and whisk in yeast.
- When the mixture foams slightly, add the mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Next, add butter, egg whites and vinegar.
- With the mixer on high, beat the mixture for 3 minutes.
- Spoon dough into bread pans.
- Make diagonal cuts a few inches apart.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Preheat oven to 400 °F
- Cover the dough and let rise until doubled, about 20-25 minutes.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Remove from pan and allow to cool.
Original recipe can be found here with minor modifications by yours truly.
“Eat more plants. Do more yoga. Read more books.”
Have you heard?!
I’m sending out a weekly Affirmation, every Sunday, for an entire year! Looking to manifest a more positive, happy, healthy lifestyle? Follow my blog below by entering in your e-mail address at the bottom of this page! ↓