Tis’ the season to MEAL PREP! I’ve been meal prepping up a storm lately so every flavour of grab-and-go-bites has been essential!
These guys I focused on filling with lots of sweet, superfood goodness for the hungry morning people who could use a quick pick-me-up. Aside from them being nutrient-dense (as always) they also help with:
- reducing inflammation throughout the body
- stimulating and activating energy support
- mental focus and clarity
- fun and refreshing sweetness
- optimal digestion support with collagen and glutamine added as well as
- optimal adrenal support with the added benefits of OM Foods Adaptogen Blend
- something sweet and satisfying to grab when you need that QUICK pick-me-up!
As mentioned above, these guys created with nutrient dense ingredients such as essential fatty acids, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and adaptogens. I’ve added a few extra supplements to support the adrenals, nervous system and overall immunity. To keep the quality of these snacks high, I’ve made sure they’re:
- CAFFEINE FREE
- 1 cup nuts & seeds (I used OM Foods 9 seed blend)
- 1 cup oats (or protein powder of choice)
- 1/2 cup fresh or dried blueberries or mixed dried fruit
- 3 – 4 tbsp soft coconut oil
- 1 – 2 tbsp homemade blueberry jam
- 1 tbsp OM Foods Adaptogen Blend
- 1 tbsp glutamine
- 1 tbsp collagen (I use Organikas – omit to keep this vegan)
- 1/4 tsp himalayan salt
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup oat mylk to add while blending
- In a small bowl, mix a blend of either coconut flakes, hemp hearts, white supplement of choice or GF flour together with a 1 tsp Blue Spirulina to create 1/4 cup of toppings to roll the recovery bites in at the end. I used a blend of Inulin, GF Flour and Blue Spirulina.
- Combine all ingredients into a food processor or blender, leaving out the oat mylk for now. Blend until well combined and then slowly drizzle oat mylk in while blending to get desired consistency. Sometimes pulsing at first works best before blending. Try not to add too much mylk or else it gets a bit too sticky to handle. If this happens, just add more oats or nuts and blend.
- Taking a large tablespoon full, form a bite size ball in your hand and squeeze together a few times before rolling into a ball (I find they stick better that way).
- *Optional* If using, roll the ball in the small bowl of toppings before placing in your storage container.
- Once completed, place the storage container in the freezer to fully freeze before storing in the fridge or using. You can also store them in the freezer and pull out a little before using or simply store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- This is a very forgiving recipe. Play around with it, make it your own but for the recipe to work optimally I highly suggest keeping it raw, local, sustainable and as whole to it’s original state as possible. Always opt for quality over quantity when possible!
- For a DIY style try following this recipe:
- 1 – 1.5 cups nuts/seeds/etc.
- 1/2 – 1 cup oats/coconut/protein powder/etc.
- 2 – 4 tbsp maple syrup/honey/dates/applesauce/etc.
- 2 – 4 tbsp coconut oil/nut butter/etc.
- 2 – 4 tbsp liquid (if needed) ex: lemon juice/mylk/etc.
- 1 – 2 tbsp flavours ex: salt/cinnamon/pumpkin spice/etc.
- 1 – 2 tbsp supplements (optional) ex: collagen/mushrooms/glutamine/etc.
- Optional coatings: hemp hearts/sesame seeds/sugar/cacao/powders/etc.
Don’t have the materials to make these or looking for items that are already pre-made? Did you know I offer meal prepping services? Let me help! PLUS I have new snack bundles for you to easily stock up with! Contact me to inquire or order.
Heidi MacAulay, R.H.N.
“Eat more plants. Do more yoga. Read more books.”
Learn more about me, my credentials or how to work with me here!