I had such a phenomenal sleep last night and although I’m usually a pretty good sleeper, lately, it’s been hit and miss!
So I thought I’d share what I did different and give a few tips for those that could use a good sleep..
WHAT I DID DIFFERENT
- Right now I’m not drinking which I KNOW disrupts my sleep because I usually have it in the evening & it crosses the blood brain barrier so that is a BIG one for me!
- I’m exercising & meditating daily again – I love ebbing and flowing with routines but I know that if I’m not stimulating & feeding my mind/body/soul with quality healthy “food” during the day then I will have excess energy & stimulation in the evening!
- I DIDN’T snack or eat chocolate late at night!.. I got into a bad habit of this over the holidays which is hard to get out of!! So that felt HARD but GOOD.
- I practiced proper hygiene– drank herbal tea while relaxing before bed with dimmed lights, got into some silky PJs, washed my face, flossed, brushed and felt sooo refreshed & ready for bed.
- Even though I felt ready for bed I still had some anxiety come up so I practiced simple breathing when I was laying in bed and went through a somatics exercise to let my body feel safe & supported.
MORE SLEEP TIPS
- No screens 1hr before bed
- No work 2hrs before bed
- No food 3hrs before bed
(3-2-1 BED method – keep it simple, follow your instincts)
- Avoid caffeine/stimulants in the afternoon/evening
- Practice healthy bedtime routines and use somatics / breath to ground you (3-6-9 breathing method or sensory somatics can work well)
- Sip on herbal teas 1-2hrs before bed such as chamomile, lavender, CBD, valerian, tulsi.. I also make & sell a sleepy-time tea
- Diffuse or use essential oils, incense, candles etc. to set the mood, dim the lights & prepare for bed. Try some light stretching/yoga, breathing, meditation and use smells such as be lavender, vetiver, serenity, myrrh or frankincense.
- Supplements to try using before 1hr before bed could be: magnesium, zinc, reishi, glutamine or CBD – always consult your healthcare team before taking new supplements
- Brain dump- journal or get all your worries out of your mind & onto your paper. It’s generally suggested not to have intense or heavy conversations/interactions before bed. Also avoid heavy or intense shows, sounds, environments, etc.
- Taking a bubble bath with Epsom salts/bath salts, oils, candles or practicing massages (either with a partner or solo). Focus on the feet, lower back, shoulders & neck.
Still need some extra support?
I also offer 1-1 mentoring in yoga (mindfulness or movement), nutrition (specializing in athletic nutrition as well as the gut-brain connection) and overall health & wellness goals. Connect with me here to get started or schedule a free 15min consult.