This recipe is Gluten-Free, Dairy Free, Paleo friendly and can be made Vegan, Raw or Vegetarian! I love this meal because it’s light, filling, nutrient-dense and super versatile. This recipe can be made warm for the winter months or cold in the summer weather. Get creative and think outside the box! I’ve added a few options and suggestions throughout the recipe to give you some inspiration. 🙂
- 6 small zucchini’s spiralized
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs (or salmon or tofu or cherry tomatoes…)
- 2 – 3 tbsp ghee or coconut oil (or both!)
- 1 cup basil
- 1 cup spinach
- 2 ripe avocados
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (or to taste)
- 1/3 cup olive oil (or to texture – add more for a thinner sauce)
- Salt & Pepper to taste (I like to use a mix of Himalayan salt and sea salt)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan or sheep feta (optional)
PROTEIN – Preheat oven to 400°F
- Pan sear chicken or fish in a cast iron pan, flesh side down for 2 – 3 min depending on thickness. Flip over, skin side down and cook for an additional for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Put cast iron into oven. For chicken, cook 20min. For salmon, cook 3 – 5 minutes, depending on thickness.
- Chop up basil, spinach, avocado and garlic; throw into food processor or blender. Add in pine nuts, lemon juice, olive oil and cheese (if using). Blender on high until fully emulsified. Add salt and pepper to taste (sometimes I add a bit more lemon juice depending on taste & consistency.
*NOTE* my food processor doesn’t blend to the consistency I like, so sometimes I will use my blendtec or vitamix to get the smooth, creamy consistency I like!
- Heat up sauce pan or pot at medium on stove with coconut oil or ghee (or both!).
- Toss in zoodles and add a pinch or two of salt and pepper. Cook to desired consistency (I usually cook mine for about 2 – 4 min so they don’t get fully cooked, just lightly steamed).
- Turn off element and toss zoodles with sauce. Top with desired ingredients (cheese, tomatoes, pine nuts, protein, etc.) and enjoy!
“Eat more plants. Do more yoga. Read more books.”